Re: draft-ietf-html-style-00.txt & class as a general selector

From: lilley <lilley@afs.mcc.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 1995 14:52:37 +0000 (GMT)
To: Hakon.Lie@sophia.inria.fr (Hakon Lie)
Cc: lilley@afs.mcc.ac.uk, www-style@w3.org

> lilley@afs.mcc.ac.uk writes:
>
>  > Someone who personally hates strike-through but their device supports it
>  > has no option but to live with it. Their style sheet cannot over-ride
>  > yours. You have removed freedom of choice from the reader by not naming
>  > the distinctiveness of your para 14
>
> No. In CSS, the reader can supply a personal style sheet and by
> labelling declarations as "important", they will override the author's
> style, including STYLE attributes.

Could you elaborate exactly how that works? I don't see how the
readers style sheet can influence the presentation of an un-named
ad-hoc peice of stylesheet on an individual element.

> Perhaps the "including STYLE attributes" should be clearer in the
> specification. Putting declarations into attributes should not be a
> way of dictating style.

Perhaps it should be revised to only allow named styles, as was
suggested earlier. I would be in favour of this; so it seems would
Glenn and Paul.

--
Chris Lilley, Technical Author and JISC representative to W3C
|  Manchester and North Training & Education Centre   ( MAN T&EC )  |