Re: draft-ietf-html-style-00.txt & class as a general selector

From: lilley <lilley@afs.mcc.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 1995 15:09:00 +0000 (GMT)
To: Hakon.Lie@sophia.inria.fr (Hakon Lie)
Cc: lilley@afs.mcc.ac.uk, www-style@w3.org

> I like the '@' mnemonics. Perhaps we can rearrange our previous use of
> the character..
>
>  > Which seems fairly regular and easy to parse - properly bracketed.  Then
>  > for notational convenience, when using CSS with HTML, we have the
>  > following short forms:
>  >
>  >  . means  @CLASS =
>  >  # means  @ID =         or whatever token is chosen
>
> Having a shorthand for ID is not only a syntactical convenience;
> knowing that the attribute is unique will help implementors. We were
> thinking about a different shorthand:
>
>   "x67y" { .. }

The trailing " does nothing, though, just as the trailing ] did nothing.

>  > This gives a concise and regular notation, it seems.
>
> Yes, and is very much in line with CSS thinking. A few questions
> remain:
>
>  - should one also allow the more verbose versions (CLASS=foo,
>    ID=x67y) in CSS1?

I think so. This encourages people to build in parsing which is trivially
extended to cope with arbitrary attributes used in selectors when CSS2
arrives.

>  - what do people prefer,
>  -- #x65y or "x56y" ?
>  -- @CLASS=foo or [CLASS=foo] ?

I guess I have already voted ;-) but should point out that the particular
representations of the delimiter tokens were just examples, albeit ones I
would be happy to live with. The important point was that each token should
mean something and that meaning should be explained in human-readable terms
somewhere near the beginning of the CSS 1 document. I was also aiming for
a situation where the parser need not backtrack or buffer; the meaning of
a string should be known before it is read, and everything should be
properly delimited and umambiguous.

--
Chris Lilley, Technical Author and JISC representative to W3C
|  Manchester and North Training & Education Centre   ( MAN T&EC )  |