Re: detecting SMIL syntax errors

From: HIYAMA Masayuki <hiyama@glocom.ac.jp>
Date: Tue, 04 May 1999 10:08:17 +0900
To: Henning Timcke <henning.timcke@werft22.com>
Cc: Philipp Hoschka <ph@w3.org>, WWW SMIL ML <www-smil@w3.org>
Hi Henning,

I cannot give responsible answers, these are merely my personal
opinions.

On Fri, 30 Apr 1999 17:12:56 +0200
Henning Timcke <henning.timcke@werft22.com> wrote:

> From your point of view, who should take care of your considerations ?

To incorporate Philipp's idea into XML spec, some group or person must
propose it to the XML Syntax WG. I don't know who should do that. SYMM
WG or Philipp?  If the WG accept the proposal, they will discuss about
it, and finally it goes through (or is killed).

> And: how much additional work has to be done to meet your expectations ?

The notion of SMIL validity is more than XML validity.  To express
the correct SMIL constraints, we should have more syntactical
facilities -- context sensitive content model (e.g. <switch>) is needed
as I mentioned, data-typing of attribute value (e.g. "begin" as a clock
value) is also required.  I believe the XML Schema WG will work out
the issues. By when? ... I cannot forecast.

Thank you,
--
HIYAMA Masayuki <hiyama@glocom.ac.jp>