Re: Support for Qualified Cardinality Constraints?

On Jan 27, 2005, at 6:08 PM, Stephen Rhoads wrote:

> Just a quick survey ...
>
> Are there any tools (parsers, stores, reasoners, etc) that have
> early/proprietary support for qualified cardinality constraints?

None of our tools do (Pellet, OWL-DL reasoner; SWOOP, OWL
browser/editor).

> It would seem to be a no-brainer given that the logic is well known
> and the functionality was present in DAML+OWL.  All that is missing is
> a formal syntax in OWL.

Well, qualified number restrictions are more work than unqualified one,
so we did bail on them in our reasoner given that our mandate was
specifically to support OWL. More important for us at the moment is
extending datatype support and our EConnection based extensions. We
have no "customers" at the moment asking for QNR, either.

It's on our todo list, but pretty far down.

As for SWOOP, without syntax, it's a bit weird to support it :) I guess
we could try to support DAML+OIL (kill me now), or some other syntax,
but again, the demands we've acutally gotten haven't been there.

(Which isn't a surprise since our "customers" generally look to us to
articulate desirable expressivity. We're still building them up as it
is.)

Traditional DL tools like Racer or FaCT or Cerebra support QNR, of
course.

Cheers,
Bijan Parsia.