Re: Need example of a River class being used as an individual ... anyone?

From: Frank Manola <fmanola@mitre.org>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 11:39:02 -0500
To: "Roger L. Costello" <costello@mitre.org>
Cc: www-rdf-logic@w3.org

"Roger L. Costello" wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> One of the "main" differences between OWL Full and OWL DL/Lite is that
> in OWL Full a class may be treated as both an individual as well as a
> class.  I am trying to create an example to demonstrate the use of a
> class as an individual.  Specifically, an example to demonstrate the use
> of a River class as an individual.  Here is how River is defined:
>
>     <rdfs:Class rdf:ID="River">
>         <rdfs:subClassOf rdf:resource="#Stream"/>
>     </rdfs:Class>
>
> Can you give me an example that shows this River class being used as an
> instance?  Thanks!  /Roger

I assume by "River class as an individual" you mean as something other
than as an instance of rdfs:Class (which is what the above definition
says).  If that's the case, then how about (assuming appropriate
namespace declarations):

     <rdf:Description rdf:about="#River">
         <dc:creator>Roger Costello</dc:creator>
     </rdfs:Description>

Or if you're looking for something more complicated, can you describe
the sort of complication you're interested in?

--Frank