RE: Open world assumption reference

From: Jim Hendler <hendler@cs.umd.edu>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 10:01:38 -0500
To: "Jeremy Carroll" <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>, <waldinger@ai.sri.com>
Cc: <www-rdf-logic@w3.org>

At 8:57 PM +0000 11/13/02, Jeremy Carroll wrote:
>  > there used to be a book "logic for artificial intelligence" by raymond
>>  turner
>>  has some of that sort of stuff.  i haven't read it.
>>

>thanks for that prod - I looked on my boss's bookshelf and found Turner's
>book - it had a pretty mind-blowing definition of monotonicty, near it was
>Sowa's Knowledge Representation, which looks like a safer bet.
>
>Jeremy

Jeremy, if you're looking for something more of a textbook (including
examples and code) I would suggest Forbus and DeKleers "Building
Problem Solvers" [1] It doesn't go as deep into the logic stuff, but
it does have a lot about how to use it and deal with the problems
that might come up in real logic-based reasoners - as they say

  http://mitpress.mit.edu/catalog/item/default.asp?sid=C6BA5CB6-F3D7-4ED7-A4E1-C3F63F0547F7&ttype=2&tid=8345
http://www.cs.umd.edu/users/hendler