Re: model-model mapping

From: Leo Obrst <lobrst@mitre.org>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 18:40:54 -0500
To: Danny Ayers <danny666@virgilio.it>
CC: Www-Rdf-Logic <www-rdf-logic@w3.org>
Danny,

I'll forward some messages sent to the Protege list recently: this is an
interest of mine.

Leo

Danny Ayers wrote:

> Could anyone please point me in the direction of any work done on ways of
> mapping between different vocabularies, schemas and their models. There's
> obviously been a fair bit of work been done on things like mapping RDBMS
> schema to XML schema or object models, but what I'm after is a more generic,
> 'meta' form of this. Terms like 'equivalentTo' would work in this context,
> but what would be really nice would be to find a whole RDF Schema in this
> space ;-)
>
> The particular application I have in mind only needs a narrow aspect of this
> : more or less one-to-one mapping between an arbitrary domain-specific graph
> based model (such as that of a hierarchical organisation) and a general-case
> graph (just nodes & arcs here), but the ability to map from one model to
> another enables the reasoning facilities (i.e. algorithms) of the second
> model to be applied to the first, which is an approach that strikes me as
> being ideal for SW work, but rather neglected (ok, this is something that is
> done a lot through the back door, e.g. using the Rete algorithm in Jess
> plugged into from Protege, but the mapping is, meta-speaking, usually
> hard-coded). If I do have to come up with my own RDFS, then it might as well
> be based on a reasonably general case (rather than the feeble attempts I've
> tried so far).
>
> Cheers,
> Danny.
>
> ---
>
> Danny Ayers
> <stuff> http://www.isacat.net </stuff>

Dr. Leo Obrst		The MITRE Corporation
mailto:lobrst@mitre.org Intelligent Information Management/Exploitation
Voice: 703-883-6770	7515 Colshire Drive, M/S W640
Fax: 703-883-1379       McLean, VA 22102-7508, USA