Re: Logic and proof tutorial resources

From: Pat Hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 17:30:30 -0600
To: Pierluigi Miraglia <miraglia@cyc.com>
Cc: www-rdf-logic@w3.org
>On Tue, Dec 11, 2001 at 05:24:23PM -0800, Piotr Kaminski wrote:
>>  > >[1] http://www.wikipedia.com/wiki/Larrys_Text
>>  > I really would not recommend this, to be honest.
>>
>>  What can you recommend?  I'm currently working my way through Sowa's
>>  Knowledge Representation book (2000).  It's not exactly easy going, but it
>>  seems to be relevant.  What's your opinion?
>>
>>          -- P.
>>
>>  --
>>    Piotr Kaminski <piotr@ideanest.com>  http://www.ideanest.com/
>>    "It's the heart afraid of breaking that never learns to dance."
>
>Hi, I have taught logic at various levels for some years. Here are a
>couple of suggestions.

>There are couple of really good books which I have liked much and I think
>would be good for a 'select' beginner:

>Natural Logic, by N. Tennant. I fear this is out of print. Used to be
>published by the U. of Edinburgh Press.

I agree enthusiastically, by the way. I have taught logic from about
10 different texts and I liked this one best of all, but it was a
little too 'fast-moving' for my UG class. It is however a *lovely*
book, particularly in how it handles proof theory. I too wish he
would re-publish it.

Pat Hayes

IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola,  FL 32501			(850)202 4440   fax
phayes@ai.uwf.edu
http://www.coginst.uwf.edu/~phayes