Re: universal languages

From: Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 14:18:23 -0500
To: Stefan Decker <stefan@db.stanford.edu>
cc: pat hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>, www-rdf-logic@w3.org

> At 10:14 PM 2/5/2001 -0600, you wrote:
>
> Finally it would arrive at "pat_hayes_2" = "pat_hayes_7" = "pat_hayes_10".
> How would it be possible to again publish this result on the web?

One approach, which I mentioned on this list a few weeks ago, is to
publish the information as pairs of (source identification, term used
in that source).  This has a certain practical quality, since we
already know a lot about using URLs for source identification.

> All that is necessary is the ability to construct a global unique
> object identifier for a given entity. URIs seem to be one way to do
> this, however, certainly extensions are necessary.

I recently attempted to address these necessary extensions with a new
("tann:") URI scheme, described at http://www.w3.org/2001/02/tann.  (I
have some inkling that inventing URI schemes is taboo, but I'm still
waiting to hear a better solution to this problem.)

    -- sandro