Re: universal languages

From: Jonathan Borden <jborden@mediaone.net>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2001 14:45:03 -0500
To: "pat hayes" <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>, "Stefan Decker" <stefan@db.stanford.edu>
Cc: <www-rdf-logic@w3.org>
Stephan,

> Probably you are right. But let us first establish the necessity of having
> global IDs.
> Then we can think about how they can be engineered and
> what useful things we can do with them.

This has a strong resemblence to the whole XML namespace debate, e.g. if an
XML namespace name is just a unique identifier for a namespace, why does it
need to be a URI? and if a URI does it need to be dereferenced and if a
namespace uri is dereferenced what should it resolve to?

Of course this is a topic close to my own heart (http://www.rddl.org).

-Jonathan