RE: universal languages

From: Miles Sabin <MSabin@interx.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2001 16:11:43 -0000
To: www-rdf-logic@w3.org
Peter Crowther wrote,
> Dan Connolly wrote,
> > Triples are an idiom that show up all over the place, in my
> > experience. They look like a pretty important and useful
> > modelling primitive.
>
> You can model a directed graph using a set of triples; you can
> model an arbitrarily complex data structure with a directed
> graph.  As primitives, they are sufficient to model any other
> structure.  I'm not aware of a simpler primitive that allows
> you to model an arbitrarily complex data structure using only a
> single set containing instances of that primitive.

Huh?

You can model a directed graph using an ordered set. Is a set of
triples 'simpler' than a set with an ordering?

If triples are useful for the job at hand, then fair enough. But
I don't think it'll help much to attempt to give them any other
sort of justification.

Cheers,

Miles

--
Miles Sabin                               InterX
Internet Systems Architect                5/6 Glenthorne Mews