".daml" (RE: DAML+OIL (March 2001) released)

From: Balon, Corey <cbalon@grci.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 10:53:25 -0400
To: www-rdf-logic@w3.org
More Questions
Nothing new really, This was in the previous release too
(the usual apologies if this has already been brought up)

looking at the DAML example I noticed something:

The URL is

In the namespace declarations the default namespace is
xmlns     ="http://www.daml.org/2001/03/daml+oil-ex#"
(ie. there is no ".daml")

further down I see

<daml:Class rdf:ID="Person">

which, when parsed, generates the triple

also in the example is

<Person rdf:ID="Adam">
... more stuff...

which, when parsed, generates the triple

When I look at the example, I think "Adam is of type Person,
which was defined above", however when my code tries to do
neat things with the data, it sees two different "Persons"
1) ...daml+oil-ex.daml#Person
2) ...daml+oil-ex#Person
and it doesn't know that they are really supposed to be the same

now if I use the URL
(no .daml) instead, there is only one Person, which makes sense

So the question is:
Is there a bug somewhere?
    -is http://www.daml.org/2001/03/daml+oil-ex.daml the same as
        http://www.daml.org/2001/03/daml+oil-ex and something
        should pick up on that?
    -should there be some rule that the default namespace
        should exactly match the URL (not counting the #)
        if they are supposed to be the same?
    -is the parser screwy?
    -Is everything really correct. When I use "...daml+oil-ex.daml"
        my code is supposed to see 2 Persons, and when I use
        "...daml+oil-ex" its only supposed to see one Person