ANN: Ontaria 0.8 -- W3C Ontology Directory (& RDF Browser)

From: Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 19:54:14 -0400
To: www-rdf-interest@w3.org

I'm pleased to announce "Ontaria", a web-based tool for searching and
browsing Ontologies (and other RDF data) gathered from around the web.
I've been developing it since roughly the day RDF and OWL went to
Recommendation, and while it's far from done, I think it's at the
point where it might be useful.

This is an early (pre-1.0) release, missing several important
features, running on antiquated hardware.  I'll try to keep it running
while people play with it, but there's no support staff yet and the
new hardware isn't ready.  Juggling millions of triples and hundreds
of users (if it should come to that) will be interesting.

    http://www.w3.org/2004/ontaria

This service is addressing some of the same challenges as schemaweb,
swoogle, etc, but in a rather different way.

Please do look for your favorite ontologies.  If Ontaria doesn't know
about an ontology, give its URI for download in the "Search" box, and
it should be picked up soon.   (There's an automatic harvester which
might pick it up in a few seconds; I come along manually and look at
files it has trouble with.)

      -- sandro