RE: AW: uml to rdf converter

Hello Manos,

> Hi David,
>
> On Wednesday 17 November 2004 14:24, David Price wrote:
> > However, I would be willing to spend some time
> > on this now if people are interested in using it.
> >
> > I've done no work on a native RDF/RDFS translator, but would be
> > willing to help with that too.
>
> Let's consider the basic use case of converting a class with
> simple type and
> collection members from XMI to RDFS+XSD simple types. I
> suppose this is not
> available right now? If not shouldn't one start from there?

If you'll send me a small example UML model in Poseidon UML or ArgUML and
tell me what RDFS/XSD should result, I'll implement that, add that beginning
XSLT implementation to exff.sourceforge.net and make anyone interested in
helping a developer on that project. If there's a more appropriate
open-source project,

All my work so far has been to generate OWL but RDFS support sounds like a
good idea too. FYI, the draft OMG ODM standard includes a metamodel for RDFS
and UML and will include a mapping so there will be a standard to implement
at some point next year. The next draft from the ODM team is due in January.
The current draft does not include any mappings.

> Are we talking
> about XMI to serialized RDF/XML or memory representations?
> The latter comes
> with a bonus of base set of interfaces that could be
> implemented/reused
> existing libraries...

All my work is XMI-based as it's written as XSLT. This architecture was
chosen because several tools provide XMI export but no API. FYI, I have also
used the Poseidon PE Velocity Template engine to generate XML Schema from
UML and from that you access to its API.

> I'll happily help on design, code etc but, IMHO, what is
> primarily needed is a
> mapping document people can agree upon as a reference and point of
> integration with existing stuff...  Does that sound like a
> trivial job for
> rdf-interest or am i to loose my hopes on humanity? We could
> adopt FOAF as
> our test case!
>
> Manos
>
> PS: will the converter work on ArgoUML?

I have done some work with ArgoUML so understand its XMI format. Most of
what's there now works with Poseidon UML Community Edition.