Re: Placing a comment on a relationship?!

Hi Adrian,

Adrian Walker writes:

 > The problem is that RDF/OWL is by design a machine-oriented notation, and
 > one in which it is easy even for expert people to make mistakes when they
 > try to code 'raw'.
 >
 > For example, a now apparently defunct web site (interprise.com) last year
 > gave an example that can be summarized as
 >
 >      some-subject is related by rdf:type to some-subclass
 >      that-subclass is related by rdfs:subClassOf to some-object
 >      --------------------------------------------------------------
 >      that-subject is related by rdf:type to that-object
 >
 > The rule looks reasonable, and on the data that interprise supplied, its
 > conclusions were in line with normal intuition**
 >
 > However, if you plug in "Clyde", "elephant" and "species", you get " Clyde
 > is related by rdf:type to species" .   So presumably, the rule is wrong as
 > it stands.

Wouldn't you use:

Clyde rdf:type elephant
elephant rdf:type species

to model this situation (elephant being a member of the set species
rather than a subset of the set species). I agree that if you use
terms that don't mesh semantically with what you're trying to
articulate then the owl rules create further untruths, but I don't see
how that's a problem with OWL.

Am I missing the point?

Cheers,

Phil