AW: Can hash URI description lookups be made to scale?

From: Leo Sauermann <leo@gnowsis.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 12:28:33 +0100
To: "'Phil Dawes'" <pdawes@users.sourceforge.net>, <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>

The uri is not necessarily sent to the server (as steve harris pointed
out it can be, if you POST it instead of GET it, is this right?)

I had the same problem. I escaped them in links to the pages and had
results like
http://example.com/2004/01/people%23dawesp

the hash (#) had also caused me some trouble, I woiuld avoid it and use
it only in namespaces.

btw:
> I prefer hash URIs on the basis that they look nicer to me.
> However, I'd like a to provide a description lookup service
> at the end of the URI.

if the "look nicer to me" argument is important, I think these look nice
also:
1) http://example.com/2004/01/people?dawesp
2) http://example.com/2004/01/people/dawesp
3) http://example.com/2004/01/people-dawesp

1 has the advantage of beeing good scriptable / hackable, because you
get the "dawesp" as "querystring" variable. The advantage of the "?" is
that you can have "=" and "&" in the following string and that a web
server will provide it unparsed as "querystring". I used this somewhere.

2 may be good in a servlet environment. I have seen many URLs that look
like this one.

3 does look good but is hard to parse.

hth

Leo