Undeclared vocabularies RE: Some questions

From: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 03:53:54 -0500 (EST)
To: Victor Lindesay <victor@schemaweb.info>
Cc: www-rdf-interest@w3.org

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004, Victor Lindesay wrote:

>Chaals again:
>> seriously, there are lists of vocabularies around, but it is
>> known that a lot
>> of vocabularies are creaeted by people without ever being so
>> much as a schema
>> labelling terms in the vocabulary - let alone listed anywhere.

Sorry, this was a bit cryptic.

People often use terms as a vocabulary, without really defining the
vocabulary anywhere. I did it most recently in
http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/Europe/200305/axforms/earlinst.rdf where I use a
vocabulary for describing the W3C Web Content Accessibility Guidelines.
Although there is no schema for that vocabulary, I can explain how it works,
what the terms are, and could write a schema for it.

Other people copy terms out of this vocabulary, since they think they
understand what it means (further evidence that it is at least comprehensible

I'm pretty sure other people have examples of this too.

The point is that these things can get quite a lot of use before anyone
notices that there isn't a schema, but it is very difficult for them to get
listed in directories like SchemaWeb.