Re: Concept Map VS Topic Map.

From: Graham Klyne <GK@ninebynine.org>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 12:57:09 +0100
To: danny.ayers@gmail.com, "Thomas B. Passin" <tpassin@comcast.net>
Cc: www-rdf-interest@w3.org

At 11:31 17/08/04 +0200, Danny Ayers wrote:
>Just to confirm that - Sowa has always emphasized the FOL aspects of CGs,
>and although I can't find any specific references,

See section 7.2, "Conceptual Graphs and KIF", of his book, "Knowledge
Representation":  "Although the KIF and CG notations look different, their
semantics are identical".  (KIF being very close to FOL.)

(This underlying theme of FOL providing a common underpinning for various
representations, including process descriptions as well as static object
descriptions, is a recurring theme in the book.)

For examples of CGs and their translation to FOL (via KIF), see:
   http://www.jfsowa.com/cg/cgexamp.htm

(which also directs the reader to chapter 5 of the book for discussion of
the equivalence.)

#g

Graham Klyne
For email: