Re: Human-Opaque URIs

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2004 15:00:35 +0100
To: danny666@virgilio.it
Cc: Phil Dawes <pdawes@users.sourceforge.net>, www-rdf-interest@w3.org

Danny Ayers wrote:

> An auxiliary question to Phil's - are dates in URIs actually useful?

I don't like them, but not enough to resist the pressures to having them.

I think they make sense only for URIs which are invariant.

Thus something like a dated version of a W3C tech report which really does
not change I am happy with having a date in the URL. But something like the
RDF namespace, the 1999 in there is just plain confusing if you ask me.

You might as well have http://www.w3.org/swick-lassila/rdf# which would be
just as appropriate for the namespace used by the second RDF working group
(operating from 2001 to 2004).

Jeremy

Jeremy