Re: Human-Opaque URIs

Hi Jeremy,

On Monday, April 5, 2004, 3:00:35 PM, Jeremy Carroll wrote:
> Thus something like a dated version of a W3C tech report which really does
> not change I am happy with having a date in the URL. But something like the
> RDF namespace, the 1999 in there is just plain confusing if you ask me.
Isn't the point that the date provides a context for what follows. For
example, I minted the URI http://www.semanticplanet.com/2003/08/rdft
in August 2003. At that point in time the characters rdft stood for
RDF Templates as asserted by the owner of www.semanticplanet.com. I
can safely reuse that character sequence in the future without
changing the meaning of the original URI by including the date of the
new meaning. If I had chosen http://www.semanticplanet.com/rdft then
that character sequence is unavailable for all time, precluding me
from releasing the Roach, Dab and Flounder Taxonomy with a simple URI.

Ian

--
http://internetalchemy.org | http://purl.org/NET/iand