RE: Need compelling story on the value of ontologies in fusing location-based data

Hi Roger,

Here is something that might help you.

The RETSINA Calendar agent [1] is a Semantic Web Application that interfaces
with MS Outlook assists the user with Distributed Meeting Scheduling and
downloads schedules from the Semantic Web. These schedules can then be
browsed using the built in Semantic Web Schedule Browser.

We had a demo once where the schedule markup (using the iCal ontology [2])
contained Geographical information - specifically Lat/Lng - about the
location of a particular event (such as a meeting or conference). Once the
schedule was downloaded, the agent allowed the user to view the information
in a nice table. But more importantly we extracted the GEO information from
the markup and submitted it as a query to a restaurant agent that would
return a list of restaurants at that lat/lng. Geo information in the markup
was also used to query mapquest agents that would display a map of the
location of the meeting.

The demo is no longer functional since the online services that provided the
CGI scripts that fed our agents the data have disappeared but the concept
still remains alive.

You can get information about Rcal at the Rcal webpage [1] including papers
that talk about the demo I have outlined above.

Hope this helps.

[1] http://www.daml.ri.cmu.edu/Cal
[2] http://ilrt.org/discovery/2001/06/schemas/ical-full/hybrid.rdf

Cheers,