Re: [jena-dev] Re: Use cases for Reification in RDF Triple stores

A very nice summary of the statements v. stating issue is in

     http://ilrt.org/discovery/2000/11/statements

Near the end, three positions are layed out:
   (1) 'reified statements are statings'
   (2) 'statements are resources'
   (3) 'change the model' (not a very self-explanatory label)

I personally don't endorse the first interpretation, but I assume that
Seth does (see below).  Thus, for him, quads make sense.  I prefer that there
be a one-to-one correspondence between statements and
their reified counterparts.  For me quads don't make sense.  I doubt
if any amount of discussion will resolve this difference.

It appears to me that the second and third positions are not that
different, and could be harmonized.  In any event, I more-or-less
agree with both of them.

Jena's "shortcut" reification would seem to implicitly require a
one-to-one correspondence between statements and their
shortcut reifications (the mapping being the identity function).
And, a shortcut reification can appear wherever a resource
can appear (i.e., the shortcut is a resource), and the shortcut
used as an argument functions just like a blank node (as in the
example for Position 3).  Perhaps Jena's shortcut reification
represents a clever way of endorsing positions 2 and/or 3?

In any event, the semantics that you get using the shortcuts
is what we want, and if/when we start using fully reified
statements, we expect to introduce constraints/side-effects
that will ensure that semantics.  For example, we may require
that a statement must exist corresponding to every reified
statement (but not the reverse).  And we will require that
two different reified statements cannot have the same s/p/o
values (whereas quads explicitly permit this).

A part of my original use case question then becomes, how
efficiently can we implement these constraints using a triple
store API?  For example, if  a retrieval returns a statement
<a,b,c>, does it take a second query to determine if there
exists an X representing its reification (i.e., such that the triples
<X, subject, a> <X, predicate, b> <X, object, c> exist)?
It would be nice if the API gave us a fast way to acquire
X (if it exists), given a statement <a, b, c>.   In an earlier
e-mail, I was wishing for a resource associable with
a shortcut reification.  The X above can be that resource.

Cheers, Bob