RE: XML schema containing RDF schema

>  Perrine Roucoux wrote:

> I am working on an XML schema for a document that contains
> both XML and
> RDF. The RDF part has to follow an RDF schema.

Can you describe the use case for your document? Are you producing or
consuming? I assume the RDF schema you refer to is an RDF schema (RDFS
or OWL). In that case an XML Schema (WXS) validator will be of no use.
This would by necessity force separate validation of the XML host doc
and the RDF payload. Even pure XML validation sometimes requires this -
WXS for structure and RelaxNG for contraints for example.

As Dave B has said, an XML Schema to cover typical RDF documents where
any amount of namespaces may be freely mixed and structure has no
relevance or meaning would be very hard and in a way pointless -
remember that RDF is not XML!

If however your RDF is very welll defined with regards to structure and
terms used, then an XML Schema would be possible. But if that's the case
then your data is really XML so why not use XML. If the objective is to
provide data that can be consumed by both XML and RDF tools (and IMO all
data providers should have this aim) then I suggest separating the
ouputs, one feed/interface for XML and one for RDF. Remember that an RDF
representation is only a simple XSLT stylesheet away from an XML
document.