Re: belongsTo

From: Chris Mungall <cjm@fruitfly.bdgp.berkeley.edu>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 11:17:04 -0800 (PST)
To: benhood@gmx.net
cc: www-rdf-interest@w3.org, jena-dev@yahoogroups.com

On Fri, 18 Jan 2002 benhood@gmx.net wrote:

> Hallo,
>
> I was wondering if there was some generic way of expressing "belongsTo"
> between concepts. I have been repeatedly joining two concepts together, that
> don't have any rdfs:subClassOf or rdfs:subPropertyOf relation, say for example
>
> members of a club/family/organisation
> vocations as members of a union
> planets belonging to a solar system
> possesion of goods/items/qualities/skills/experience

I work on a biological ontology which frequently uses "partOf" to capture
a wide variety of component/subcomponent relationships

eg

subprocessX partOf processY (conceptual composition of biological
processes)

cell-componentX partOf larger-componentY (physical composition eg of
subcellular compartments)

We use this in a strict "necessarilyPartOf" sense.
eg
"door partOf car"
would not be allowed, instead we'd have "car-door partOf car, car-door
subClassOf door". this is better for reasoning.

i'm just getting into rdf/rdfs/daml+oil and i need to convert our ontology
to a standard format - does a standard property exist for this in
daml+oil? i don't want to invent new properties where perfectly good ones
exist.