Re: what RDF is not (was ...)

From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2002 11:23:49 -0500 (EST)
To: msabin@interx.com (Miles Sabin)
Cc: www-rdf-interest@w3.org
> Sorry, but you'll have to explain to me _why_ this URI has anything
> to do with the original line or any of it's segments

Because I said so. 8-)

> (I'll assume
> you've assigned the line itself http://example.org/msabin/line/).

Maybe, maybe not.  If I wanted to make that relationship explicit, I'd
make some separate assertion about it.

> I assume you've adopted some private convention which gives URIs of
> the form "prefix/F/all" semantics something like,
>
>   for all x in prefix such that Fx ...
>
> I don't share that convention, and it pretty clearly goes way beyond
> anything you'll find in either RFC 2396 and RDF(S). If it didn't, we
> wouldn't need DAML.

To you and everybody else, that URI should be treated as opaque.  You
shouldn't be assuming anything about the structure I may or may not have
designed into it.  I assert that it identifies every segments in your
line, and nothing you can do can change that.  Nah nah nah! 8-)

MB