RDF calendar taskforce and use-cases

From: Libby Miller <Libby.Miller@bristol.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 14:45:52 +0000 (GMT)
To: Dan Brickley <danbri@w3.org>
cc: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@w3.org>, Owen_Ambur <Owen_Ambur@ios.doi.gov>, Jim Harris <JIM.HARRIS@DOT.STATE.MN.US>, "marion.royal" <marion.royal@gsa.gov>, "sara.wagner" <sara.wagner@gsa.gov>, jordanc <jordanc@seta.com>, Motoole <Motoole@seta.com>, "lisa.carnahan" <lisa.carnahan@nist.gov>, "libby.miller" <libby.miller@bristol.ac.uk>, www-rdf-interest@w3.org

Discussion at the RDF Interest group meeting in Boston last week made it
clear that there was a lot of interest in the use of RDF for
calendars. Several people have done work in this area already, including
Dan Connolly [1], Tim Berners-Lee [2], Charles CathieNevile [3]
and Dan Brickley (can't find the reference for this). I've done a quick
demo [4] and from discussions with danbri a scrappy writeup of some of
the issues [5]. SkiCal [6] is an interesting related project - I'm sure
that there are lots more (apologies if I've missed out anything).

There was a great deal of interest in taking this disparate calendar
work forward, so this is a call for participation in an informal RDF
calendaring taskforce, with the minimal aim of producing a usable schema
for calendaring and demonstration applications of the uses of RDF for

To get things moving, I'd like to ask people for use cases for an RDF
calendar app - for example:

* I've got a work calendar (password protected) and a Palm, and I'd like
to view the data in the same place.
* I'm going to a week long meeting, and I want to combine the
schedule of the meeting with my personal calendar.
* I'm trying to schedule a meeting with three people without
having complete information about their calendar.
* I'm trying to divide time spent on a project between
various people
* I'm trying to schedule cinema trips with my friends.
* I'm trying to divide up my TV watching, TiVO-style.
* I'm trying to book plane tickets for someone else.
* I want to find out who was at the meeting which produced
the Dublin Core 15 elements, and what documents were produced a result
of that meeting.

Let me know if you are interested, and we'll see if there is sufficient
discussion to warrant setting up an email list.

[1] http://www.w3.org/2000/08/palm56/datebook.html
[2] http://www.w3.org/2000/01/foo
[3] http://www.w3.org/2000/09/calendar/alpha1
[4] http://swordfish.rdfweb.org/discovery/2001/02/calendar/