Re: Use/misuse of RDF:Value

From: Aaron Swartz <aswartz@swartzfam.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 09:02:39 -0600
To: <lagoze@cs.cornell.edu>, <dc-architecture@jiscmail.ac.uk>, <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>
lagoze@cs.cornell.edu <lagoze@cs.cornell.edu> wrote:

> Perhaps your note reveals a hint at where our disagreements and
> misunderstandings are.  All of you examples are framed in terms of the
> "agent elements".  In that case your argument makes some sense, e.g.,
> the string "The Beatles" is the "human readable name" of that group.  My
> statements, however, are meant to apply to all DC elements.  The methods
> being discussed regarding default value are intended to be general.
> Thus, the use of rdfs:label in the case of the subject element (picking
> one example) seems pretty far from "a human readable version of a
> resource name".

The subject would make sense too (as I've shown before). The literal for:

http://dir.yahoo.com/Computers/Internet/

would be "Internet". There are a few however that don't make sense, like
Identifier (where the appropriate literal would be the resource name itself)
for example and we've included those exceptions in the algorithm.