Re: URI etymology

From: Sean B. Palmer <sean@mysterylights.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 15:45:00 +0100
To: "Pierre-Antoine CHAMPIN" <champin@bat710.univ-lyon1.fr>
Cc: <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>
> I think we are not talking about the same problem.

You're imagining problems which aren't there, I'm talking about the
real world.

[...]
> I'm concerned about what the URI *does* identify truly.
> I'm not discussing about implementation,
> I'm discussing about theory.

A URI identifies a resource; that's what it truly identifies. The use
of that resource is bound by context. That is all that there is to
understand.

Theory is O.K., but it's one small step from there to the Pedantic
Web. At any rate, theory is always backed up by practise; no theory
counts for anything if there are no implementations or practices to
back it up, cf [1].

[1] http://lists.xml.org/archives/xml-dev/200103/msg01053.html

--
Kindest Regards,