Re: Linking RDF

From: Murray Altheim <altheim@eng.sun.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 17:32:03 -0700
To: "Sean B. Palmer" <sean@mysterylights.com>
CC: RDF Interest <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>
"Sean B. Palmer" wrote:

> > (No, the escape characters you'd use aren't valid
> > XML Name characters, if you are.)
>
> Hmm, this looks like a job for i18n :-) I've seen URI schemes using
> internationalized characers before somewhere... oh yes, in the HTCPCP
> thing; no wonder then. In that case, I think that a useful thing that
> the HTML specification could have defined is that any link types get
> concatenated onto the profile attribute content, a bit like a QName,
> so that:-
>
> <head profile="http://example.org/#">
> <link rel="meta" [...]

Except that 'profile' is really not going anywhere, from what I have
heard over the last few years in the HTML WG. Underdefined, overloaded,
who knows. The remnant of a dying world, perhaps. Gad. Get me some
coffee.

> is defined by http://example.org/#meta

BTW, I musta been out of the country for this one. Where in the world
did the idea of appending "#" to the *end* of a URL come from? Seems
very weird or just wrong. I don't know of a file system that likes files
named "#", and I don't want to *always* rely on a web server to patch
me through to index.html or whatever. Anyone? What does this mean?

> [and BTW, that has to be the fastest reply I've ever had on an email!]

Oh, just working on my laptop next to my Solaris box and noticed your
message. Lightnin' fingers Altheim...

Murray

Murray Altheim, SGML/XML Grease Monkey     <mailto:altheim&#64;eng.sun.com>
XML Technology Center
Sun Microsystems, 1601 Willow Rd., MS UMPK17-102, Menlo Park, CA 94025

      the wood louse sits on a splinter and sings to the rising sap
      ain't it awful how winter lingers in springtimes lap -- archy