Re: Linking RDF

From: Sean B. Palmer <sean@mysterylights.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 03:50:43 +0100
To: "Murray Altheim" <altheim@eng.sun.com>
Cc: "RDF Interest" <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>
Murray Altheim <mailto:altheim@eng.sun.com> wrote:-

> Except that 'profile' is really not going anywhere,

Hmm... dunno about where it's "going" (probably to oblivion), but I
know where it "is": it's the only extensibility mechanism that HTML
4.01 offers. Well, I know it's a pretty proprietary method of
extending HTML, but it's the only way... other than using m12n to
create some brand new extensible link type (er, XLink a la RDDL
anyone?). Actually, I suppose using RDDL in this case would make a
great deal of sense.

   <rddl:resource
        xlink:role="http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/Notation3"
        xlink:arcrole="http://webns.net/mvcb/metadata"
        xlink:href="myNotation3.n3"
        xlink:title="My Notation3 file">
   </rddl:resource>

Ah, RDDL...

> The remnant of a dying world, perhaps.

Yeah, the world of text/html; as dead as the dodo :-) I'm *really*
looking forward to XHTML 2.0, but I know it's going to have a slim
target market at first... Still, it's got to beat what we have at the
moment. As you said a little earlier on the same thread, if we all
campaign for proper linking mechanisms that allow for very precise
purposes and natures, we may just get what we want.

> Where in the world did the idea of appending "#" to the
> *end* of a URL come from?

The humble FragID? Quite useful in that it identifies a concept
defined by a particular piece of Web content, but annoying in that it
is reliant upon MIME types. Eek.

--
Kindest Regards,
Sean B. Palmer