Re: tracing statement origin (was Re: I have a trouble with The RDF Model)

From: Gabe Beged-Dov <begeddov@jfinity.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 21:54:34 -0800
To: Seth Russell <seth@robustai.net>
CC: "www-rdf-interest@w3.org" <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>
Seth Russell wrote:

> Gabe Beged-Dov wrote:
>
> > Ground Statement:
> >  [Bush, wonThe, Election]
> >
> > Reified Statement Resource:
> >  [ECResults#id1, type, statement]
> >  [ECResults#id1, subject, Bush]
> >  [ECResults#id1, predicate, wonThe]
> >  [ECResults#id1, predicate, Election]
> >
> > Syntactic context for Reified Statement Resource:
> >  [ECResults#bag1, rdf:_1, ECResults#id1]
> >  [ECResults#bag1, type, Bag]
>
> What, again, was the use of (need for) the bag here?

From section 6 of the rdf M&S spec [1]:

"The Description element itself represents an instance of a Bag
resource. The members of this Bag are the resources corresponding to
the reification of each of the statements in the Description. If the
bagID
attribute is specified its value is the identifier of this Bag, else
the Bag is anonymous."

The Bag can be used as the target of distributive referents [2] and I
am suggesting that it is also useful as a way of providing finer
grained traceability of statement occurrences. For more discussion of
use for these statement Bags see my posting today to rdf-interest [3].
I've trimmed the CC list on these messages since it seems to be more
related to rdf-interest.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-rdf-syntax/#grammar
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-rdf-syntax/#distributedReferents
[3]