W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-rdf-interest@w3.org > November 2000

Re: Semantic Web Roadmap Strawman

From: Sean B. Palmer <sean@mysterylights.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2000 21:51:15 -0000
Message-ID: <01d301c049ce$33d40f00$a2d993c3@z5n9x1>
To: "Aaron Swartz" <aswartz@swartzfam.com>
Cc: <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>
> This is about as true as saying the same thing about HTML. Yes, the HTML
is
> visible, and yes, the developers look at it. However, most don't. So it
> won't _only_ be seen by machines, but like HTML, mostly.

Yes, but a lot of people view HTML source to learn how to write it. I hope
this wont be necessary for the SW, but at the moment it certainly is. Give
it time...
Really we need people to write RDF WYSIWYG editors - any offers?

> I'm not quite sure what the first part has to do with the second, nor what
> you mean by the term "semantic interface".

Semantic display materials and media. Remember me harping on about SDF? That
kind of thing, but developed by people who know what they're talking about
;-)

> Of course -- where will the logic come from?

I'm not too sure. TimBL seems to think it's the most important layer of the
SW, but it is the least written about: for example proof validation.

> Reasonable men disagree on this point. ;-)

I'm afraid I have to disagree with you there...

> > If these are correct, *the* two most important features of the SW are
> > 1) The internal mechanics - i.e. the SW itself
> > 2) Human interface to the SW
[...]
> However, I think we can't really have a 2 until we have a 1 to go off of.
> I'm of the opinion that you should find the data first, then figure out
the
> best way to display it, rather than the other way around.

That is true, but I don't see why we can't do both at the same time!
Seriously...

> > BTW: A small note of thanks; the members of this list have been very
kind
> > and considerate always, and always have thoughtful comments, or
constructive
> > criticism. There isn't even a trace of the obnoxiousness that I have
often
> > found on other lists. Kudos to you all! - this IG is a shining example
to
> > all other development communities.
>
> Thanks Sean! I hope (as it well seems) that you understand that my
criticism
> are meant in a positive spirit, as an attempt to help flesh out what
you're
> saying. I may be harsh at times, but I hope all understand that this is
just
> an attempt to be helpful, not as an attack on you.

On the contrary, I highly value your comments, as I do to all of the members
on this list so far. I come from the HTML mailing lists, where there is 100
times more arguement than work. Coming to this list is a breath of fresh air
to me: everyone is so unpretentious. Of course, people only argued with me
on the other lists because I was so outspoken, and I am overposting again
here, but people seem not to care how much I post on this list, as long as I
have something interesting to say. Thanks everyone, but tell me if you want
me to shut up: I'll just crawl back to XHTML-L. In the end I actually
decided that HTML was a dead format, because Semantic based stuff will
overtake it. That's why I ended up here, and by coincidence at the same time
the SW discussions started! Lucky for me.
The only thing that I could fault this list for is that there are still a
lot of lurkers, and I like to see a busy list. The more people join in to a
conversation, usually the more useful it becomes (up to a point).
Of course, these SW discussions are probably the longest running ever by
now, and I just feel very privileged to be a part of it: especially as just
a few weeks ago I didn't have a clue what the SW was (well, just an
inkling!). I hope that we are really contributing to the very start of the
SW here, and not just going astray. Of course, I believe it is all useful,
or else I wouldn't be contributing.

Kindest Regards,
Sean B. Palmer
----------------------------------------------------
The Semantic Web: A Resource - http://xhtml.waptechinfo.com/swr/
WAP Tech Info - http://www.waptechinfo.com/
Mysterylights.com - http://www.mysterylights.com/
----------------------------------------------------
"The Internet; is that thing still around?" - Homer J. Simpson
Received on Wednesday, 8 November 2000 16:52:25 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Monday, 7 December 2009 10:51:46 GMT