Re: Semantic Web Roadmap Strawman

From: Sean B. Palmer <sean@mysterylights.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2000 16:31:35 -0000
To: "Matola,Tod" <matola@oclc.org>
Cc: <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>
Hi,

> I feel that you may have forgot a point (sorry
> if this is assumed and I was
> unable to distill it from the proposal).
>
> 3) The machine (readable) activities that will
> make life better in the Human
> interface to the SW. Seems to be largely
> untapped (maybe because we have not
> realized the potential). For example: adding
> classification of or authoritative vocabularies
> abilities to say syndication syntaxes (e.g., RSS
> [1]).

You are right in saying this was mainly inferred in the doucment, but it's
an
interesting point anyway. You re in a sense giving us a link from 1) to 2).
I don't feel we'll realize the true potentials until we start applying it to
real life situations; but the problem is that we don't have any standard way
of "going forward" and doing this.
I like RSS, but as a means of providing a site summary, it isn't too clear
how it should be linked to an XML document, and then interacted. If we had
XLink in XHTML, things would be *so* much easier...but we don't have either
XLink or RDF, so we have to make do...
I think instead of tying to semanticize HTML, we should try to documentize
XML/RDF. An easier approach IMO!

Kindest Regards,
Sean B. Palmer
The Semantic Web: A Resource - http://xhtml.waptechinfo.com/swr/
WAP Tech Info - http://www.waptechinfo.com/
Mysterylights.com - http://www.mysterylights.com/
"The Internet; is that thing still around?" - Homer J. Simpson