Re: Semantic mail

From: William Loughborough <love26@gorge.net>
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2000 08:52:06 -0800
To: "Greg FitzPatrick" <greg.fitzpatrick@metamatrix.se>, "Dan Brickley" <danbri@w3.org>, <www-rdf-logic@w3.org>, <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>
At 05:17 PM 11/7/00 +0100, Greg FitzPatrick wrote:
>For starters all the (public) mailing lists of the W3C or the IETF could
>be fashioned in this manner.

Surely you jest. "all the...lists...*could be fashioned*..." - come on. Any
manner of fashioning would invite a "counter-fashioning" by dedicated
spammers and those others who might just want to jack with you.

Try to imagine how many emails any celebrity might get. It's like one of
those "ask the president" TV things, there are 7.3 million wannabe
questioners and only one answerer.

You just have to do your best with what we've got and accept that you're
going to use the delete key a lot and look for cherished senders, etc.

Don't worry your pretty little head about this, we will learn to sip from
this fire hose - already have to an extent.

GF:: "I argue that before we can have a semantic web we should at least
have a  semantic mail."

WL: Argue away, but it really isn't a prerequisite, much as it would be
lovely if only it were possible. What we need before we can "have a
semantic web" is to get into a significantly higher
doing/talking-about-doing ratio. At present it's about .0001!

--
Love.
                 ACCESSIBILITY IS RIGHT - NOT PRIVILEGE