RE: Model Digest Algorithm

From: Jan Grant <Jan.Grant@bristol.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 3 May 2000 10:22:38 +0100 (BST)
To: "McBride, Brian" <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
cc: "'Graham Klyne'" <GK@Dial.pipex.com>, "RDF Interest (E-mail)" <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>
On Tue, 2 May 2000, McBride, Brian wrote:

> >It was my understanding that while there could be no duplicate
> >resource
> >names, there could be duplicate instances of a given property
> >between the
> >same subject/object pair.
> >

> I'm too new to this to be definitive (help help). The formal model
> part of the m&s spec says:
>
>   There is a set called statements, each member of which is a
>   triple of the form {pred, subj, obj}

That's right; if pred, subj, obj are all identical then the statements
are identical.

jan

PS. Cancellation problems stemming from XOR don't arise as long as the
uniqueness of set membership is preserved; however, I'd imagine the most
obvious place to calculate the signature of a set of statements is
during parsing (if we're checking input). It's just a question of making
sure the occurrence check comes before the XOR.

Tel +44(0)117 9287163 Fax +44 (0)117 9287112 RFC822 jan.grant@bris.ac.uk
Axioms speak louder than words.