Re: Parsing of qualified 'about' attribute

On Tue, 02 May 2000, Perry A. Caro wrote:
>>         Myth #4: Unprefixed attribute names are in XML namespaces
>>         http://www.xml.com/pub/2000/03/08/namespaces/myth1.html
>
>Ronald Bourret does an excellent job of debunking those that claim that the
>way they handle namespaces, particularly with respect to unqualified
>attribute names, conforms to the spec.  In other words, no one can claim to
>conform to the spec, because the spec is so wishy-washy and non-committal
>that multiple interpretations are valid.
>
>Unfortunately, he does not answer the most important question: WHAT SHOULD
>WE DO!?!?
>
>I found that many of his assertions were based on assumptions which don't
>apply to RDF.  For example, "Fortunately, the resolution of this myth [#4]
>is unimportant, as it does not affect how documents that use XML namespaces
>are written or how namespace-aware applications process unprefixed attribute
>names."  Yeah, right!

Alltogether this might be in the wrong mailing list :-(  Re-reading the
XML-namespace document, I tend to agree the specs hint (especially
in the examples) that unqualified attributes do not inherit the
namespace from the element.  It doesn't appear to state anything
explicitely and sufficiently clear though.

I think <ns:elem attr=value> should be exactly the same as
<ns:elem ns:attr=value>.  That way an XML(-namespace) processor can
canonise the input, making it much easier to process by later, more
application oriented, stages.

If other XML namespace declarations are like RDF, it means that
attribute processing always looks like (psuedo code):

	if ( attr == {NS}name || attr == name ) ...

this looks highly undesirable to me.

	--- Jan

P.s.	Though odd, the current RDF namespace usage and XML namespace
	specs suggests another canonisation: if an attribute has the
	same explicit namespace as the element (explicit or implicit)
	drop the namespace from the attribute :-)

	I.e. <rdf:RDF xmlns:rdf="...">
		<rdf:Description rdf:about ...>

	is canonised to <{...}RDF> <{...}Description about ...>