From: Jean-Marc Vanel [mailto:jmvanel@free.fr]
Sent: Monday, March 06, 2000 11:43 PM
To: www-rdf-interest@w3.org; Jean Marc VANEL
Subject: API for RDF: locutor

David Megginson <david@megginson.com> write on 2000-02-25 :

Unfortunately, it's not about triples.  The only way to discover the
true RDF data model is to reverse-engineer it from the XML, and it
turns out that there are at least six components (not three) in each
statement:

  subject
  subjectType (global id, local id, URI pattern)
  predicate
  object
  objectType (literal text, literal XML markup, reference)
  objectLang

These are not simply syntactic artifacts -- it's information that
*must* be exposed through any RDF API ...

There's yet another very important item that is implicit in any RDF set of
descriptions: it's the locutor. I mean by locutor the individual or
organisation who makes these descriptions. But we don't have direct access
to the locutor, except by a possible dc:Creator property. But in turn a
dc:Creator property points to a name, possibly not unique, or to a mail
adress or home page, possibly obsolete. This subject on the identity,
uniqueness, persistence of a resource could take us far away... The obvious
design solution is that the locutor IS the URL (not URI here!) where our RDF
set of descriptions appears in.

So if a Web site S1 says about someone:

<looks>ugly</looks>

And another Web site S2 says about the same person:

<looks>handsome</looks>

My RDF application can decide, with a knowledge of which of locutors  S1 and
S2 is trusted most.

--
<person>
  <firstName>Jean-Marc</firstName>

(eventually put "wwbota" in subject to route your mail in relevant
folder)</a>
</person>