API for RDF: locutor

From: Jean-Marc Vanel <jmvanel@free.fr>
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2000 08:43:08 +0100
To: www-rdf-interest@w3.org, Jean Marc VANEL <jean-marc_vanel@effix.fr>
David Megginson <david@megginson.com> write on 2000-02-25 :

     Unfortunately, it's not about triples.  The only way to
     discover the
     true RDF data model is to reverse-engineer it from the XML,
     and it
     turns out that there are at least six components (not three)
     in each

       subjectType (global id, local id, URI pattern)
       objectType (literal text, literal XML markup, reference)

     These are not simply syntactic artifacts -- it's information
     *must* be exposed through any RDF API ...

There's yet another very important item that is implicit in any RDF set
of descriptions: it's the locutor. I mean by locutor the individual or
organisation who makes these descriptions. But we don't have direct
access to the locutor, except by a possible dc:Creator property. But in
turn a dc:Creator property points to a name, possibly not unique, or to
a mail adress or home page, possibly obsolete. This subject on the
identity, uniqueness, persistence of a resource could take us far
away... The obvious design solution is that the locutor IS the URL (not
URI here!) where our RDF set of descriptions appears in.

So if a Web site S1 says about someone:

And another Web site S2 says about the same person:

My RDF application can decide, with a knowledge of which of locutors  S1
and S2 is trusted most.

  <project>Worlwide Botanical Knowledge Base -
      making botany available on Internet
subject to route your mail in relevant folder)</a>