Re: Schemas using schemas.

From: Simon Cox <simon.cox@ned.dem.csiro.au>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 09:54:55 +0800
To: www-rdf-interest@w3.org
This approach is certainly not a problem for dc, since the DC definition explicitly
states that in any description-instance all properties are optional.

However, many schema's have more restricted obligations.  For example, in
the ISO/TC 211 metadata standard (now defined in UML) they provide explicit
instructions about how to create a custom "profile" of their base standard.
The derived schema
(i) inherits all mandatory components, plus non-mandatory ones as required,
(ii) can increase the obligation, or restrict domains, and
(iii) a single attachment point is provided for extensions.
My interpretation of this is that they are requiring you to use the ISO
schema as the "base" schema or not-at-all, and more or less prohibit you
from extracting anything less than the complete thing for re-use.

--
Best			Simon