Schemas using schemas.

From: Pete Cliff <lispdc@ukoln.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 10:58:44 +0000 (GMT)
To: www-rdf-interest@w3.org

I am developing an RDF schema for Collection Descriptions (call it
rslpcld)  that is made up of a number of properties from a number of other
schema - for example it is defined in terms of:

  dc:title, dc:identifier, dcq:location, cld:strength, cld:accessControl,
  vcard:voice, etc.

but does not use ALL the attributes in any one schema.

How do I define the namespaces in the rslpcld schema? My initial thought
is to include a "xmlns:" line for each of the schemas used. However if
this simply "#includes" the properties of other schema into the rslpcld
schema then the rslpcld schema would be defined in terms of a number of
undesirable properties.

My second thought is to copy the relevant property definitions from their
source locations into the rslpcld schema. However, this leaves a problem
of version control. If I copied, for example, dc:identifier and
subsequently the dc:identifier definition changes, the copy used as part
of the rslpcld schema is out of date.

Any advice would be welcome...

Thanks,

Pete Cliff
--
Systems Developer - Resource Discovery Network - www.rdn.ac.uk
UK Office for Library and Information Networking