Re: A certain difficulty

From: Stefan Decker <stefan@db.stanford.edu>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 13:29:18 -0800
To: <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>
Hi,

>I downloaded it (the earlier release) too and played with making a calendar
>schema.
>It took me some time to get into it.
>
>When looking at the first results of my tinkering the first thing I noticed
>was
>that any subclass of protogé:Thing was declared to be such. So my file
>full of my local concepts has a pointer back to stanford as well as pointers
>back to the RDFS concepts.
>
>  <rdf:Description rdf:ID="#Calendar">
>   <rdf:type
>resource="http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/PR-rdf-schema-19990303#Class"/>
>   <rdfs:subClassOf
>rdf:resource="http://smi-web.stanford.edu/projects/protege/pr
>otege-rdf/protege-19992012#Thing"/>
>   <protege:abstractProperty>concrete</protege:abstractProperty>
>  </rdf:Description>
>
>(From http://www.w3.org/2000/calendar/clendar.rdfs which is not a serious
>effort in any way - just a play with protege and full of junk)
>
>In fact the fact that from Protogé's point of view  something is a subclass
>of Thing
>is of course information-free.  It should therefore be omitted from the
>serialization.

if an application  does not know protege:thing, it can ignore it.
If a user defines a resource to be a subclass of protege:Thing, protege can
not ignore this and we have to save that.

However,  i think there is a small missunderstanding: you probably meant
that #Calendar is a subclass of rdfs:Resource.
Then #Caldendar has to be defined as a subclass of rdfs:Resource, and this
if of course also serialized in this way.

Stefan