RE: A certain difficulty

From: Bill dehOra <Wdehora@cromwellmedia.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 09:19:11 -0000
To: xml-dev@xml.org
Cc: www-rdf-interest@w3.org

:And when this, I thought "This is a modeling problem." It's not the
:XML syntax (though that may be an issue, see below), it's that they
:didn't know how to build RDF/ RDFS models, or what to do with the
:models once they had been built.

Agreed. But it may be the case that they would have had difficulty
regardless of the modelling language.

:Amplifying the second: the basic problem with modeling languages like
:RDF is that they are fairly abstract. Years and years of experience
:in knowledge modeling has taught the AI community that most people,
:be they programmers or no, have difficulty building robust and reusable
:conceptual models.

Well, modelling is a task in abstraction. Many people may not come equipped
with the skills to do such a task.

:This implies that RDF needs an accessible user interface.

Lots of things need accessible user interfaces, but in this case it's  only
a sugar coating. I'm not disparaging Protege, I'm saying that to get RDF
widely used will require more than a good UI.

-Bill