Re: A simple question....

Simon Cox wrote:

> This issue appears quite often.
> For example, in the "Simpler Syntax" document that Tim Berners-Lee
> posted ( http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/Syntax ) he included a section
> discussing this "Identifiers - what is identified?".
> Is it that, in contrast to C, etc, XML appears to be missing a syntax element
> to indicate to a user agent that the identifier should be dereferenced?

I believe XPointer fulfills this role nicely.

<http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-xptr>

In fact, I think the XPath expression language is a very important tool for
RDF, with or without a simplification of the syntax.  It seems to me that
metadata about fine-grain data in an XML doc, where embedding of the
metadata in the XML doc is not a requirement or impossible, can be
adequately addressed by using XPath expressions as the "identifiers" for RDF
objects.

Perry