Re: A simple question....

At 04:56 PM 11/17/99 +0800, you wrote:
>This issue appears quite often.
>For example, in the "Simpler Syntax" document that Tim Berners-Lee
>posted ( http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/Syntax ) he included a section
>discussing this "Identifiers - what is identified?".
>Is it that, in contrast to C, etc, XML appears to be missing a syntax element
>to indicate to a user agent that the identifier should be dereferenced?

It seems so, yes.
There should be a defined way of dereferencing resources.
There are two ways of realizing this:
1) One could not put this in the RDF-model and define the model in such a
way, that
    everything is as much dereferenced as possible.
    Then the parser, which genererates the tripel, has to do the work.

2) The other way is to extend the RDF-model in such a way, that it is
possible to
    indicate, that a particular URI should be dereferenced.
    By this the application can decide, if it is necessary to dereference it.

I vote for 2) because otherwise parsing can be a time-consuming thing
(each dereferencing means downloading a new resource from the web)
And the application better knows, if it is really necessary to dereference
the URI
(and can be done when needed)

There is actually a third way:
         Generating a new extra triple, that indicates that the resource
should be
        dereferenced. But this involves reifying the original one and thus
        generates much more additional triple, and an application has a
hard job to do.
         However, this would not change the data model. But it has to be
standardized.

BTW:
Having links is a fundamental issue on the web - and there should be facilities
inside RDF to handle links.

I'am i missing anything?

Ciao,
         Stefan