Re: ArtStor image overlaps with OCW

Hi MacKenzie,

In the demo scenario we say that there is this researcher who is looking
for an image.  We will show that the researcher can move transparently
from one image source to another along some axis of personal interest to
the researcher.  Right now the available axes of overlap are the
artist's name, and the keywords or subject of the course or artwork.

Suppose we have a researcher who is a professor at some school, and has
started out browsing through the open course ware trying to develop a
new class for her school.  At some point the professor encounters
several images associated with the course, selects one, and follows a
link to the artist's name to locate other works by the same artist.

To answer the question 'why do I need images that occur in both
corpuses?' it is easiest to start by trying to understand the
motivations of the professor in following that link.  Why did the author
need to find another work by the same artist?

The professor might simply have been learning more about the artist, or
following the link out of idle curiousity, but neither of those reasons
is directly associated with the professor's primary task; they are
useful nice to have features, not mandatory ones.

Another reason for following links from OCW that suggests itself to me
is to substitute the freely available or even missing images listed in
the course with presentation quality images for the classroom.  In other
words, the professor must follow the links in order to have a workable
presentation for the course -- this kind of use is precisely in line
with the work needed to create the course for local presentation, and so
is a much stronger reason for linking these two corpuses than either for
learning or out of idle curiousity.

If we had courses where the resources present in OCW overlapped with
those in ArtStor in this way, then I would propose structuring the demo
script as outlined above as I think it would show very concisely why
these two corpuses had to be integrated, and what the value was of
integrating them.

Cheers,
-kls