Re: The LEEBER RDF editing

* MacKenzie Smith <kenzie@MIT.EDU> [2003-06-11 08:29-0400]
> At 04:21 AM 6/11/2003 -0400, Dan Brickley wrote:
> >> I've learned of another project we might want to look into
> >> for SIMILE -- LEEBER is an open source RDF cataloging
> >> tool http://leeber.sourceforge.net/ ...
> >> Anyway, it looks interesting, even if it is written
> >> in Ruby :-)
>
> >Leeber is written in Java; it is a rewrite of Liber, which
> >as you say was written in Ruby.
>
> Ahhh, sorry. Sorceforge says java, the Green River website
> says Ruby:
>
> " Leeber is an open source project being developed at sourceforge, and
> written in the Ruby programming language. Leeber is our first application
> of RDF at the Semantic Web. It is a resource cataloging application. It can
> be used to catalog anything, however it is typically used to catalog
> web-based resources. Leeber has two interfaces, one for those creating the
> catalog, and one for those using it. The interface for users features a
> "web portal" style interface intended to make it easy for users to quickly
> find very specific subsets of cataloged resources."
>
> I guess they forgot to change it when they cut and pasted that
> paragraph... I take you know about this project -- is it worth
> looking at?

The only bit I know much about is the Ruby side. Brandt gave me permission to
incorporate his RDF/XML parser into my RubyRdf package, which I've done. It is good
stuff. Haven't looked at the portal stuff (Java or Ruby versions),
but now that it is based on Jena I would say definitely take a look. There are a lot
of people using Jena, so you'd be in good company. It might be worth enquiring re
plans for migrating Leeber to use Jena2 as that matures, and keeping an eye out for
possible issues there.

Interested to hear how you get on,

cheers,

Dan