Re: OCLC: RDF-DC Interoperability Testbed Project

On Mon, 2003-06-09 at 06:36, Butler, Mark wrote:

> Hi Eric,
>
> Reading through the descriptions of the OCLC RDF-DC Interoperability project
> http://www.oclc.org/research/projects/rdf_interop/index.shtm
> it seems very similar to two of our prototypes e.g. the investigate use of
> multiple schemas to describe data and interoperate between multiple schemas.

Correct. (cc'ing Stu Weibel PI and Harry Wagner (who did all the coding
:) from OCLC / DCMI).

Summary / pointers and a little more detail -

http://www.w3.org/Talks/2002/10/16-sw/
-> http://www.w3.org/Talks/2002/10/16-sw/slide20-0.html

OCLC - RDF Schema Interoperability

Demonstrate benefits common descriptive framework and common semantics
for supporting "recombinant metadata"

Integrate collections of diverse data into coherent whole

Stitched together descriptive information based on machine processable
relationships (e.g. rdfs:subPropertyOf dc:title)

Data partners include: AMICO, FAO, GEM, OAI (in XML/RDF), AGLS, RSS

Example Application - Semantic Merge

> The OCLC page says the project expects to have completed these phases by
> June 30 2002 and September 31 2002 - do you know what the status is and is
> there any work we could leverage?

The last phase was putting in place the Semantic Merge demonstration -
http://wip.dublincore.org:8080/interop/searchServlet

The code for this is available under the Dublin Core Open Source license
but not sure the specific reference. Harry, can you provide a pointer?
Availability of the instance data as I recall was an issue. The status
of which I'm not sure of.

I'm afraid that given finite resources and infinite opportunities, this
project has been on hold for the past several montsh.  That being said,
every time I present this work its met with increased interest and
enthusiasm for RDF and DC. As you've identified, its directly related to
some of the Simile deliverables and as such I'd very much like to see
this work continued.

semantic web activity lead               http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/
w3c world wide web consortium            http://www.w3.org/