Re: pfps-04

From: pat hayes <phayes@ihmc.us>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 13:38:52 -0500
To: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Cc: Martin Duerst <duerst@w3.org>, "Peter F. Patel-Schneider" <pfps@research.bell-labs.com>, www-rdf-comments@w3.org, i18n <w3c-i18n-ig@w3.org>

>Martin:
>
>>>I am sure that a different and more appropriate way to make the
>>>distinction can be found.
>>>

>A sorted logic?

That won't help. As soon as you try to write the semantics for the
sorted logic, you will need to ask the same questions.

The only way to deal with this is for the writers of specs to be
ready to answer questions which clarify the meaning of what they
write, even if they feel that such questions are inappropriate.
None of us are in a position to make rulings on what questions are or
are not appropriate for someone else to ask.  In my view, questions
about identity are never inappropriate, although one has to be able
to deal with "don't know" and "don't care".

Pat

IHMC	(850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.	(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola			(850)202 4440   fax
FL 32501			(850)291 0667    cell