Re: pfps-04 (why the thread is germane to pfps-04)

This quesion is related to pfps-04 because pfps-04 is concerned with
equality between XML literals in RDF.

The root of this problem is that a complete treatment of XML literals in
RDF needs a complete theory of equality for them.  This theory of equality
cannot just determine equality between XML literals in RDF but also has to
determine equality between XML literals and other objects in the RDF domain
of discourse, in particular plain RDF literals and the value space for the
XML Schema string datatype.

Some of these answers can (now) be fairly easily determined from a simple
perusal of the RDF documents and the canonicalization documents.

Two XML literals are (now) equal in RDF precisely when their Exclusive
XML Canonicalizations are the same octet sequence.

However other answers are harder to determine.

1/ When is an XML literal equal to a plain RDF literal?  A plain RDF
literal is a Unicode string (sequence of Unicode characters), so this
question boils down to whether octets and Unicode characters are disjoint.
I found it difficult to answer this question, because of hints in the
exclusive canonicalization document that they are not.

2/ When is an XML literal equal to an XML Schema string?  This would appear
to be the same as the previous question, as the value space for the XML
Schema string datatype is Unicode strings, but there have been some
comments from those involved in XML Schema that the values for XML Schema
datatypes are more than just, for example, numbers.  In particular, there
have been messages to the effect that in XML Schema decimal 1.5 is
different from float 3E-1, even though the first is defined as 15x10^(-1),
where 15 is the integer 15 and 1 is the integer 1 (and 10 is the integer
10), and the second is defined as 3x2^(-1), where 3 is the integer 3 and -1
is the integer -1 (and 2 is the integer 2).

I could probably dig up references for the above, but it would be
considerable work.  If anyone is really interested just ask, and I'll get
around to it soon.

Peter F. Patel-Schneider
Bell Labs Research
Lucent Technologies