Re: [closed] hendler-01 literals in parsetype collection

Dave-
  I am willing to accept this decision contingent on one thing - I
want the issue being postponed to point to this message as well as
(or instead of) the original message.  The reason is that, as you
will see in a minute, I realize that the issue I raised goes beyond
the OWL dependency which I originally discussed.

The actual issue: RDF/XML does NOT provide a reasonable syntax for
expressing a closed list of values of literals or other datatypes.

That is, supposing I wish to represent that "my scraper found only
the following set of names on URI1"  I wish to say something like:

<:NameList rdf:parsetype="collection">
   <rdf:closedListItem>fred </rdf:closedListItem>
   <rdf:closedListItem> joe </rdf:closedListItem>
   <rdf:closedListItem> bill </rdf:closedListItem>
</:Namelist>

(note: I have made up the above, it is not intended to be currently
correct nor to imply this is the right syntax to use)

If I use current RDF constructs I have no way to produce this as a closed list.

In short, parsetype=collection is not only useful for the OWL oneOf
construct, but for any other time when a closed list must be used.

I believe that it would be very useful for RDF/XML to have a means by
which such closed lists of datatype elements could be used.

  -Jim Hendler
  AC, Mind Laboratory, University of Maryland

http://www.cs.umd.edu/users/hendler